[K12OSN] Cups printing from Windows XP?

Julius Szelagiewicz julius at turtle.com
Sat Feb 21 10:42:10 UTC 2004

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 dahopkins at comcast.net wrote:
> Shahms,
>
> Thanks. This approach works with Win2k, but my XP system won't even
> browse for the Samba printers. MS has changed something in XP (and it
> was working in XP until I applied the latest critical updates).  See my
> other response, but this seems to be tied into the group policy
> settings.

Dave,
	critical updates - my tusch! The latest security update made my
wife's computer secure by causing it to fail with what looked like
hardware errors. the hardware was cured by a miracle of rolling back the
upgrade. The cumulative effect of the latest 3 upgrades is broken
networking - you are right, no browsing. i suspect that it can be fixed by
messing with settings, but i'm using it to get rid of more windoze boxen.
for those that have to have winxp and browsing - no security updates, for
others, the jetdirect printers work well.
julius