[K12OSN] k12LTSP and static IP

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Sat Feb 21 11:23:02 UTC 2004

On Sat, 2004-02-21 at 07:59, Kevin Boone wrote:

> This is good....yes win2k machines would be mapped to the k12box via UNC
> path,shortcut on the desktop etc....to the executable that would k12linux
> gui, programs etc on the win2k machine.
>
> I didn't want the win2k machines to pick up "new" ip addresses...unless it
> can be done without setting  the k12ltsp server to run dhcp.   Our school is
> already running a dhcp server, I've been told that I cannot put a dhcp
> server on the school network for the obvious reasons.

Yes this is possible, but first you have to understand the network
topology.  If you have a dual-nic server and the windows boxes
are connected on the 'inside' interface and only the outside
interface of the server connects to the school network, you
*can* give them DHCP addresses without breaking anything, although
you should be sure the network administrator understands that
the server acts as a NAT router and blesses the connections.
If the windows boxes are on the 'outside' interface on some
other portion of the network you will have to adjust the
firewall settings on the server to allow windows networking
(maybe someone else can be more specific about how to
do this).  With firewalling removed the windows boxes
should see the server when browsing the network and be
able to connect.  Windows can find servers by name in a
DHCP environment but if possible the server should have
a static IP assigned and be added to your local DNS if
you have one.

If you have a windows domain controller on the network
you may want to run 'authconfig' on the server and add
SMB authentication so you don't have to manage passwords
for those users.  You still have add them as users but
the passwords will track the one set up for the domain.

---
  Les Mikesell
    les at futuresource.com