[K12OSN] Database for school desktop use

Terrell Prude', Jr. microman at cmosnetworks.com
Sun Feb 22 09:10:34 UTC 2004

Andy Rabagliati wrote:

>On Sat, 21 Feb 2004, Les Mikesell wrote:
>

>>On Sat, 2004-02-21 at 09:25, Andy Rabagliati wrote:
>>

>>>However - I think it is important that it has a file-based store,
>>>so there are no permissions issues. 30 kids messing around with
>>>mysql databases - even /I/ have problems creating tables .. :-)
>>>

>>There is nothing really magic about the way mysql or postgresql
>>work.  They just have standard wrappers to start and control
>>them that assume the data should not be disposable.  If you
>>want per-user copies that can be deleted and recreated anytime
>>without affecting anyone else, you just need to run a copy
>>per user with a configuration that keeps everything under the
>>home directory.
>>

>At this point, the school wants an Access replacement.
>
>They want to use the training materials they currently have for
>Access, do a minor edit, and use them on Linux.
>
>I think firing up your own copy of MySQL with local config,
>spool directory and port falls outside this.
>
>But .. maybe not ?
>
>Hey - I have not even used Access, that I can remember.
>
>I was figuring that someone on this list has been down that road.
>
>Cheers,   Andy!

If you want something file-based, then why not just use a spreadsheet?
I know many Windows users that use an Excel spreadsheet as their
¨database¨, and it works just fine for them.  The GNU/Linux equivalent
could be Gnumeric or OpenOffice.org.  Is that an option in your case?

--TP
Do you GNU!?
Free/Open Source: Get back control of your computer fast, especially
when online :-) <http://www.k12ltsp.org/>