[K12OSN] Security of Local Win2K Boxes when using K12LTSP

Steve Wright paua at quicksilver.net.nz
Mon Feb 23 20:17:19 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-02-23 at 19:29, Ken Meyer wrote:
> Recently, the net admin at one of the community colleges I am attending
> (senior tuition waiver) told me that there had been damage to system files
> on some classroom Win2K boxes.  He alleges this was due to some of the more
> knowledgeable and well-trained students booting Knoppix and similar distros,
> which ignore the Win2K permissions and allow such mischief, though I am not
> sure how he is so sure that it was hackers powered by Linux that did the
> damage.

I would be tempted to be very rude to him..

> [...] I have not discovered any way to protect NTFS files from local
> Linux boots -- no clever BIOS routine that might tell Linux not to recognize
> the contents of the NTFS system partition, or whatever.

you might remove the ntfs module, or build a kernel without ntfs
installed for your systems.

> [....] the second question is: if you boot from a floppy to the
> TS, can you still access the contents of the local drive, as if you had
> booted Linux on the local box

no.  There is no ide module even on the terminal system, and it is near
impossible for the user/cracker to break into the actual terminal system
and insert a module, even if there was one to insert.  No IDE module =
no IDE access - full stop, final.

>  or is that drive invisible and/or
> inaccessible.  If there's no difference in the hackability, obviously, my
> opportunity to sell LTSP will have to be based on other grounds.

Big difference.  Knoppix is an *excellant* security tool, and booted
over an XP/2K/whatever box - your net admin has a valid point.

You are onto a good thing, because LTSP should take all your worries
away regarding this.  BTW, you don't even need a boot floppy if they are
modern machines.. simply use the BIOS PXE Boot-from-LAN.

best,
Steve