[K12OSN] Security of Local Win2K Boxes when using K12LTSP

Dan Young dan_young at parkrose.k12.or.us
Mon Feb 23 21:58:26 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-02-22 at 22:29, Ken Meyer wrote:
> I have not discovered any way to protect NTFS files from local
> Linux boots -- no clever BIOS routine that might tell Linux not to recognize
> the contents of the NTFS system partition, or whatever.

If you figure out how to protect a computer w/o providing physical
security, please give me a call. The Linux piece is a red herring.
Anyone w/ physical access can boot (as others have mentioned) from
_something_ to bypass NTFS permissions. You could do the same thing to a
Linux workstation using a Windows boot disk if it supported
ext2/3/reiser/whatever. Don't know if there is such an animal. The only
thing Linux is guilty of here is being versatile.

-Dan Young
-Parkrose School District