[K12OSN] Re: Network Card suggestions revisited

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Tue Feb 24 08:58:02 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-02-24 at 05:59, Gary Frederick wrote:

> So if a terminal doesn't use all of a 100 Mbs card, I should not use a
> more expensive 10/100 OR Gigabit card in them? (Guess what I thought
> about doing ;-) )

The terminals share the server's bandwidth, so gigabit on the server
would make sense but you don't need that much at a single terminal.
There are differences in the CPU needed to drive different cards
but I don't know where to find a good comparison.  With a current
fast CPU it probably doesn't matter but you might notice the
difference on a PC that is old and slow.  My favorite years ago
was the original Netgear 10/100 card that had a DEC chip on it but
you aren't likely to find any of those now unless you have a well
stocked junk box.

---
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com