[K12OSN] K12LTSP v4.0.1 released

Henry Hartley henryhartley at westat.com
Tue Feb 24 11:43:08 UTC 2004

As I'm just getting the green light (hopefully today) to purchase my
server, I'm wondering where things are going with the SMP issues.  My
plan was to go with a dual Xeon motherboard and to run (naturally) an
SMP kernel.  My three most pressing questions are:

Question 1:

How stable is unstable?  This is for a lab so an occasional crash
won't be as devistating as if I were running an office on it but still
I cannot have it crashing every half hour.  Later posts seem to
indicate it may be too unstable even for a lab, however.  Comments?

Question 2:

If I install 3.1.2 on this machine, can I upgrade all but the kernel
to the 4.0.1 level or are there too many differences to do that?  Does
it make more sense to run 3.1.2 on two processors than to run 4.0.1 on
one?  I'll only have six workstations for the next few months, if that
matters.

Question 3:

When can we expect this to be resolved?  (crystal ball time)  Does
the 2.6 kernel provide the stability we need?  What version of
K12LTSP is expected to debut that kernel?  Will 2.6 come to the 4.0.x
series or will we wait until FC2 and K12LTSP 4.1 (or whatever it will
be called)?  It looks like there is active work on the 2.4 kernel but
it's hard to tell where that's going.

--
Henry Hartley