[K12OSN] Rebooting WinTerms

Chris Hobbs chobbs at silvervalley.k12.ca.us
Tue Feb 24 17:09:37 UTC 2004

I'm using K12LTSP at one of our elementary schools to provide cheap
Windows Terminals, based on the wilisystem.com setup. Basically, this
creates a new runlevel (7) that simply starts up rdesktop on the terminal.

The problem is, if these machines are left untouched (once up to the
Windows logon screen), they recycle - that is, it appears that X dies
and restarts, relaunching rdesktop. This occurs appx every 5 minutes.

This causes extra network traffic and annoyances for the teachers as the
machines relaunch. I know they could turn the monitor off, but it also
strikes me as unpolished to have the machines (appear to be) restarting
every 5 minutes.

Any ideas on why this might be happening?

--
Chris Hobbs       Silver Valley Unified School District
Head geek:              Technology Services Coordinator
postmaster:               chobbs at silvervalley.k12.ca.us
pgp:  http://www.silvervalley.k12.ca.us/~chobbs/key.asc