[K12OSN] Reading NTFS from LiveCDs

Daniel Loomis dloomis at cox-internet.com
Tue Feb 24 19:22:15 UTC 2004

Re:  Corruption of Win2k partitions

I had a similar experience with a Win2k box that I booted recently with
the latest Slackware LiveCD.  It automatically mounted the ntfs share on
the harddrive, so I browsed the share from within the Slackware LiveCD
to see if it read ok.  All seemed fine at the time.  I did not copy,
move or write any files to the ntfs share.

Later, when I booted the Win2k box (which was a recent install BTW), it
had an error that could not be repaired with chkdsk /f, Norton Disk
Doctor, or anything else.  I finally had to reformat and reinstall Win2k
to fix the problem.

While I suspected the ntfs module in the Slackware LiveCD, I could not
prove it was the culprit.  Until reading about others having a similar
problem with the Knoppix LiveCD I had just written it off as was just
one of those oddities that happens sometimes.

The reformatted disk has given no further problems.

Linux LiveCD distributions may not be "totally" harmless to existing
ntfs partitions.

Dan Loomis