[K12OSN] OT: Limit Network Access by time

Steve Wright paua at quicksilver.net.nz
Wed Feb 25 16:53:03 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-02-26 at 10:42, Jim Kronebusch wrote:
> I am currently using IPCop and Dansguardian for the routing and content
> filtering.  I was hoping for an easy way to add time based filtering to
> this setup.  I would like to not have to scrap what I just set up and
> move to squid, but I will if I have too.  Since IPCop is in a sense its
> own distro I am not sure what tools are bundled with it.
>
> Your suggestion was the closest to fixing what I currently have but for
> my knowledge cron may not be as "easy" as I hoped.

Don't worry about cron - it's easy..

in /etc/crontab add an entry like ;

# run net-down.sh script at 10pm weekdays
0 22 * * 1-5	/sbin/net-down.sh

# reload it every morning
0 6 * * *	/sbin/net-up.sh

then make your scripts called net-down.sh and net-up.sh, chmod 755 them,
and biff them in /sbin

Please note, this is off the top of my head...  debug first!

/steve