[K12OSN] Re: Re: Auto-Login Doesn't Work

Scott Sherrill scott at hancock.k12.mi.us
Thu Feb 26 09:59:02 UTC 2004

>k12osn at redhat.com writes:
>>An off chance, but are you sure the ip is resolving to ws206?  Try
>>putting the ip in instead.
>>
>>ex:
>>[X-10.1.7.55:0-Core]
>>
>>Otherwise there isn't much else but making sure you are running kdm
>>instead of gdm.....
>
>Hi! Thank you for the response!
>
>Yes, I am sure the IP is resolving correctly. I tailed the
>/var/log/messages log and got the IP and pinged the hostname, and it
>worked.
>
>In reference to the kdm and gdm.. do you mean KDE Display Manager? (In
>reference to the steps below) Will the modification affect all the
>terminals, or just the one I added to the kdmrc?
>Edit the following File: /etc/sysconfig/desktop
>DISPLAYMANAGER="KDE"
>DESKTOP="KDE"

The KDE Display Manager is a different login front end than GDM
(Gnome's and the default for K12LTSP) or XDM (the stock X11).  When
you change display managers it will change it for all workstations
connecting.  I don't know of a way to adjust the DM for one
workstation and not all.

The desktop environment is set by the user.  You the admin set the
default, but unless you remove the options a user will be able to set
their environment to their favorite desktop.

The DISPLAYMANAGER is the line you need to focus on.

Scott