[K12OSN] Macintosh Client Question

cliebow at downeast.net cliebow at downeast.net
Fri Feb 27 11:08:03 UTC 2004

Jim...ok..can you take a machine with os7.6.1 on it...In my setup we have
600meg hard drives..i use half for a ghoat and leave the other for swaop
space..it is not necessary to do this..Once yo have 7.6.1 (even 7.5.3 will
work) you need to have stuffit expander on the client as well. stuffit
expander needs to have its preference set to expand to a folder on the
Macintosh

.i start appletalk on a linux machine (a pc is fine)and create a user named
ltsp with password ltsp and put machkernelskipslatest.gz in it. Then from
the chooser i connect to the linux machine as ltsp pw ltsp.. i drop
machkernelskipslatest.gz on stuffit and it unpacks (hopefully cleanly) on
to the mac as machkernelskipslatest.. i rename it to Mach Kernel and put it
in extensions folder..

the mklinux booter has four pieces you need..the controlpanel goes in
control panel..lilo.conf and mklinus.prefs go in preference..mklinux booter
goes in extensions as well..

That should set up the Macintosh to double boot...check to be sure that
lilo.conf has these options
rootdev=/dev/ram
mach_options=ramdisk=8192

the sea.bin on the ftp site should simply do this for you..and the kernel
in it is designed to use normal dhcp on port 67/68. Lets try that for now..
then set up the server.. which can be any pc using regular ltsp..

this part takes about five minutes when you get usded to
it..chuck

http://ellsworthme.com/