[K12OSN] Rebooting WinTerms

Chris Hobbs chobbs at silvervalley.k12.ca.us
Fri Feb 27 12:04:02 UTC 2004

Chris Hobbs wrote:
> The problem is, if these machines are left untouched (once up to the
> Windows logon screen), they recycle - that is, it appears that X dies
> and restarts, relaunching rdesktop. This occurs appx every 5 minutes.

Well, replying to myself since I was able to track down the problem - I
realize that the odds of anyone else having this same problem is remote,
but this will hopefully seed Google :)

Anyway, it turns out that the WinLogon program has a hard-set timeout of
120 seconds (my estimate was way off), and effectively cancels the logon
screen.

There is a way around this, as MS has provided hooks for a programmer to
replace the Graphical Identification and Authentication dll (gina.dll),
which controls the response to that timeout. I'm going to look into this
as a solution.

--
Chris Hobbs       Silver Valley Unified School District
Head geek:              Technology Services Coordinator
postmaster:               chobbs at silvervalley.k12.ca.us
pgp:  http://www.silvervalley.k12.ca.us/~chobbs/key.asc