[K12OSN] Demo server specs

Terrell Prude', Jr. microman at cmosnetworks.com
Thu Feb 19 23:23:02 UTC 2004

Richard K. Ingalls wrote:

> Hi list dudes and dudettes!
>
> I'm getting ready to build a demo server to take with me to schools
> just to show them how easy it is to take their old junk PCs and attach
> them to the K12LTSP server and have a kickin' lab in almost no time.
> My plan is to have the schools find 2 or 3 of their old junk PCs ready
> for me when I show up.  Then I'll just make sure they have 32 Mb RAM,
> PCI/AGP video, PCI sound and I'll bring the bootable NICs.  (Probably,
> I'll bring extra sticks of RAM with me as well as extra video & audio
> cards).
>
> I'm building this on my own cash, so I've got to keep the costs down
> as low as I can, yet still be able to have a system the PERFORMS well
> - WOW 'em (ya know?).
>
> Here's what I'm looking at from Tigerdirect.com:
> CPU //    CP1-XP25003BC  AMD Athlon™ XP 2500+ /          512KB Cache /
> 333MHz FSB / Socket A /             Barton Core / Processor with Fan
>     $92.99
> MOBO //    A455-2031  Asus A7V8X-X Socket A
>     $61.99
> RAM //    U10-1905  Ultra 512MB PC2100 DDR 266MHz      Memory 2 Pack
> (1024MB Total)
>     $159.99
> Switch//T156-2064  Trendware - TEG-S50TXE -          10/100/1000Mbps
> 5-Port Copper Gigabit             $69.99
> NIC //    T156-2100  Trendware 10/100/100 Mbps
>     $19.99
>
> TOTALs just about $405.  Please comment.  What do you think folks?
> Will this work?

Should be fine for a small demo.  Asus mobos have always tended to be
good; I have the A7N8X and like it a lot.  I assume the A7V8X is also a
good board.  If you´re demoing with GNOME or KDE, just make sure you
don´t run more than ten clients with only 1GB DRAM.  Gig-E on the server
is a good idea.

--TP
Do you GNU!?
Free/Open Source: Get back control of your computer fast, especially
when online :-) <http://www.k12ltsp.org/>