[K12OSN] Changing proxy settings

Richard K. Ingalls ringalls at glenwood.k12.mo.us
Fri Feb 20 09:43:03 UTC 2004

bandwith at tracklan.com wrote:
> I assume you want all http related traffic to be filtered using squid.
>
> http://en.tldp.org/HOWTO/TransparentProxy-5.html
>
> Otherwise you would have to change permissions on the mozilla settings
> file that would become tedious to maintain.
>

>>	Hi all I'm new to the list and Linux in general. I have a Red Hat 9
>>terminal server set up, I'm using squid and squidguard for proxy and
>>filtering. My question is how do you keep the students from changing the
>>proxy settings in Mozilla???? Also along the same line, is there a way to
>>disable Mozilla profiles or at least use one profile for everyone???? I'm
>>trying to get out of creating profiles and proxy settings for every
>>user......
>>Thanks...
>>Rick O'Dell
>>rodell at bakersfield.k12.mo.us
>>Bakersfield R4 School
>>Bakersfield MO

Rick:

I was told (by Eric THE MAN himself, I think it
was Eric) that you really don't want to mess with
making your K12LTSP server also do transparent
proxying.  So I just got another box and setup
squid/squidguard/dansguardian on it as the
transparent proxy filter.  All the computers in my
school use it as the gateway.  We have about 100
PCs on the network.  The proxy server is a Cel.
533 with 384 Mb RAM.  It handles the traffic just
fine.

Richard K. Ingalls
Director of Information Technology
Glenwood R-8 School District