[K12OSN] Does squidGuard do reverse lookups on URL's with IP address?

Mike Rambo mrambo at lsd.k12.mi.us
Fri Feb 20 17:25:01 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-02-20 at 12:33, dale.quigg at aspentech.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking to create a web filter using squidGuard and the blacklists on
> squidguard.mesd.k12.or.us::filtering
>
> It looks to me like the porn/domains file does not contain IP addresses for
> all the sites listed.  Is it then possible for users to enter the IP address
> for blocked sites and bypass the filtering?
>
> I know that DansGuardian has an option to do a reverse lookup on entered IPs
> and compare to the blacklist, but I don't know if this is/can be handled by
> squidGuard.

Unfortunately squidGuard doesn't do this AFAIK. We always enter sites by
both url and ip when we put stuff in local-block. Since the rest of the
domains don't have both url and ip, at least for everything, it sadly is
open to that extent. It would be great if this could be added as it
seems to us the single biggest deficiency with SG. We tried DG once
because of that issue but couldn't use it because it doesn't support
multiple levels of filtering - or didn't at that time. Administration
has declared different levels of filtering for admin, high school,
middle school, and elementary school here so one size doesn't fit all.

--
Mike Rambo
mrambo at lsd.k12.mi.us