[K12OSN] Sound on Via Epia (Again!)

Gustav Kramer gjkramer at shaw.ca
Sat Feb 21 15:17:02 UTC 2004

Despite sifting through the threads on this topic I'm still not having
any luck with this!

- using lsmod I've confirmed that the sound modules are loading on the
terminal.

- using ps-ax|grep nasd I see that /sbin/nasd -aa is running

- flash is silent

- xmms complains:

     Couldn't open audio
     Please check that
	1. You have the correct output plugin selected
	2. No other program is blocking the soundcard
	3. Your soundcard is configured properly

     When I check xmms output plugins under Options/Preferences it
appears to default to eSound and doesn't even list nasd as an option.

     If I change the default sound daemon from nasd to esd in lts.conf
then xmms works.

- music player complains:

     osscommon: Cannot access /dev/dsp, check permissions

     If I change the server permissions on /dev/dsp to 666 then the
music player will pump the sound out the server!

So, here I sit in silence scratching my head!  It almost seems that the
server is unaware of nasd,  (rpm -q nasd yields nothing OTOH a search
for nasd using synaptic also yields nothing).

I know it's something simple but then, so am I!  Any help would be much
appreciated.