[K12OSN] Database for school desktop use

Steve Wright paua at quicksilver.net.nz
Sat Feb 21 20:00:04 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-02-22 at 04:25, Andy Rabagliati wrote:

> I almost feel like I should apologise for asking for this - if
> you want a real DB, just get an engine and use a front-end...
>
> However - I think it is important that it has a file-based store,
> so there are no permissions issues. 30 kids messing around with
> mysql databases - even /I/ have problems creating tables .. :-)
>
> An exam must be able to ask a question, and have it answered,
> perhaps with a printout to back it up, at the end of 60 minutes,
> by 12th graders.

I think it is important to use a 'real' product to teach kids.  We must
not think they are incapable of understanding an SQL query - my 10 year
old son thoroughly enjoys the conversational style of SQL and has a good
ol' play extracting stuff from tables.

creating a table from scratch is a different situation of course..  I
recently set up OOffice>ODBC>MySQL for my (totally non-tech but Linux
savvy) Wife who immediately proceeded to devour the task at hand
spreadsheet-style, and did not realize that she was in fact manipulating
a MySQL backend, and was more than happy to just accept that it was
appearing nicely in her online catalog.

/steve