[K12OSN] Database for school desktop use

Tom Haynes haynest at mchsi.com
Sun Feb 22 17:41:01 UTC 2004

We got an official CD of the StarOffice for schools at one point. I can't
remember what the cost was, but it seemed like it was a nominal charge for
media and handling. I am remembering $25 for the kit, and it could be
installed on multiple school machines. We decided to stay with the MS Office
Suite, but I could make the move tomorrow.

Essentially the administration is fond of calendaring in Exchange/Outlook.
Maybe 10% of the teachers use the fancy features in Outlook. Almost
everything else could be done in SO or OO. One of the irritants for me as a
math teacher is the lack of integration with MathType. I corresponded with
the Design Science folks, and they had no interest in the SO/OO market.