Network Card suggestions revisited Was: Re: [K12OSN] This $5 motherboard and processor - good for K12LTSP?

Timothy Legge tlegge at rogers.com
Tue Feb 24 06:08:01 UTC 2004

>    https://www.redhat.com/archives/k12osn/2004-January/msg00015.html
> The response (Thanks) was that it is worth getting a card that is better
> that the bottom end. The 3Com cards were one of the suggestions.
>
> Is there any data on how much better a 3Com or Intel or ? card is than
> the bottom end?

I have seen some comparisons lately on Gigabit cards but never on 10/100
cards.  You have to put this in perspective.  Yes, 3Com and Intel cards
are reported to be somewhat faster and would probably make sense in your
server.  However since a terminal doesn't use the full 100 Mbs anyway
you may be paying extra for nothing.

Bottomline (IMHO) if you have 3Com cards use them.  If you don't,
consider what you can afford.  Sure they are only 10-20 bucks more but
if you have to buy a lot, you are getting into the price of a terminal
very quickly.

Tim