[K12OSN] Dying drive

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Wed Feb 25 16:20:07 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-02-25 at 12:37, Jim Christiansen wrote:

> Feb 22 10:52:32 adminmrc kernel: hdb: read_intr: status=0x59 { DriveReady
> SeekComplete DataRequest Error }
>
> The root drive is 100% full and I don't know how to find where all of the
> space is going.
>
> The messages in /var/log are not overly large.
>
> The Nvidia drivers are not working with X either anymore.  I just want to
> get logged onto the box as a normal user just once more to be sure that I've
> gotten everything archived.

This is a good use for a knoppix CD because it will boot about anything
and set up desktop links to browse the drives.  However you should also
be able to boot a Fedora/K12ltsp install CD, typing 'linux rescue' at
the boot prompt.  If it can read enough to recognize the hard drive it
will mount it for you and tell you to 'chroot /mnt/sysconfig', after
which you have more or less normal access to everything.  If you didn't
tell it to bring up the network earlier, you can 'ifup eth0' after the
chroot to access the network.

---
  Les Mikesell
    les at futuresource.com