[K12OSN] Having telnet come up automatically during bootup

sysadmin sysadmin at handsworth.bham.sch.uk
Thu Jul 1 08:17:08 UTC 2004

At 19:27 30/06/2004, you wrote:
>We are running terminals to a unix time clock system using old machines
>and linux. The terminals telnet into a server running the time clock
>system. Is there a way to have that terminal telnet automatically into the
>time clock server after the end user logs onto the local machine? (Ie.
>Script, etc.) We want to avoid our end users having to telnet manually
>into the server.
>Thanks for any help.

If the LTSP clients are only to run a telnet session, set lts.conf
For LSTP 4 it's SCREEN_nn = telnet and for LTSP3 it's RUNLEVEL = 4

If you want normal X sessions but telnet access, expect is your
friend (http://expect.nist.gov/) Buy Don Libes book as I'm pretty
sure that there is a telnet example in there; my booh is at home
today so I can't be sure.

Regards
Martin Woolley
ICT Support
Handsworth Grammar School

to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email
in error please notify postmaster at bgfl.org

The views expressed within this email are those of the
individual, and not necessarily those of the organisation