[K12OSN] Window Manager Question

Shawn Powers spowers at inlandlakes.org
Fri Jul 2 16:18:42 UTC 2004

I have the pleasure of introducing LTSP to our entire district next
fall.  The teachers will come in with a thin client on their desktop.  I
would like some feedback from those of you that have been "in the
trenches" with window managers.  Here are my thoughts:

1) I have the horsepower to allow KDE or Gnome to everyone next year.

2) Once things "catch on" and more and more clients are added in the
classrooms, I worry that eventually KDE/Gnome will start to be to
bloated to keep my monster servers happy.

3) Does it make sense to START the introduction to linux with IceWM?  I
have zero expectations, other than "it has to work"  I figure, IceWM
will give me the room to grow, and I won't have to take away the eye
candy of KDE/Gnome when we start to grow.

4) I guess my question is, those of you using Gnome/KDE for your clients
-- do you wish you'd have started with IceWM?  Those of you using IceWM,
do you wish you'd have started with KDE/Gnome?

5) Please don't suggest xfce or windowmaker -- my choices are really to
go "all out" with eye candy, or to use IceWM.  I'm leaning towards
IceWM, but if anyone has any suggestions or reasons that KDE/Gnome would
be better, please let me know.

Thoughts?
-Shawn

--