[K12OSN] network card problems

Paul Pianta pantz at lqt.ca
Fri Jul 2 19:36:55 UTC 2004

Will Hatch wrote:

>Paul,
>
>There are two lights on eth0.  One is flashing rapidly, one more slowly.  When the light that is flashing more slowly flashes, it makes the light that is flashing rapidly stay on for just a wee-bit longer.  Where the network cable is attached to my hub, the light is flashing slowly like one of the lights on eth0 on the back of the server.

flashing lights are a good sign - packets are moving along those cables ...

>When I try to input the commands you recommended, in the shell window, it says "command not found".  Do I need to be logged in as root?  How do I log in as root for this purpose.

oops - yeah you need to be root. Open a terminal (the icon with a small
blue flat computer screen) and type 'su -'. (without the single quotes)
Then type in the root password and you will then be logged in to that
shell as root. Retry the commands I suggested b4.

--
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes ...
That way when you do criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes!