[K12OSN] 1 thin client = 4 terminals?

Gentgeen gentgeen at linuxmail.org
Sun Jul 4 03:35:33 UTC 2004

If I am understanding you right, It would be something like:

   SERVER --->  TERMINAL 1  --> 4 monitors/keyboards/mice
          --->  TERMINAL 2  --> 4 monitors/keyboards/mice
          --->  TERMINAL 3  --> 4 monitors/keyboards/mice
	  --->  ETC, ETC, ETC

If that is what your thinking, here is my thoughts --

The idea behind the 1 computer/4 users is that the computer has more
resources then any one user really needs (ram, processor, HD, etc)
Since terminals tend to be minimal (sp?) I'm not so sure that it would
work.

The 1 computer/4 users idea need particular types of hardware; graphic
cards, USB mice/keyboards or PS/2 spliters, etc.  All of that leads to
extra cost that terminals don't need.  I know they could be expensive,
but the benifit right now is that (almost) any PC and PC hardware can be
used as part of the terminal.  (PC as in Personal Computer, not just the
"win-tel" computers, since MACs can be used for terminals)

Personally, I think it would be a cool "itch to scratch", and I think it
would work.  But I just don't feel that the "cool factor" or the extra
cost / maintainance would outway the current terminal idea for
deployment.  Without doing any research, I am thinking the cost a good
mobo, strong processor, lots of RAM and 4 good graphic cards
does not beat the price of 4 thinknics, or linux bricks, or other thin
clients.