[K12OSN] 1 thin client = 4 terminals?

"Terrell Prudé, Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Mon Jul 5 00:41:48 UTC 2004

I wouldn't do it.  Here's why.  If you want to hook up more than one
keyboard and mouse to a LTSP client, then you need at least two things:

1.)  some way to physically hook up the other monitors, keyboards, and
mice, and
2.)  some way to separate each of the four sessions.

I just don't see how to do that with a LTSP client.  To illustrate this,
let's first take the case of a regular "fat client" PC.  In a "fat
client", you could install a bunch of serial ports in the thing, have,
say, four VT100 terminals, and do it like that.  The VT100 terminal, in
this case, is itself handling the display, as all terminals, including
the ancient IBM 3278 mainframe terminals, do.  You *have* to do it this
way otherwise it'd be like PCAnywhere in which someone logging into
PCAnywhere will disrupt the operations of the person already sitting at
the console.  Other well-meaning sysadmins would do this to me all the
time back when I was a Windows NT Server administrator (TSE was still
pretty new back then, and Citrix was big bucks).  Thus, you must have
more than one single display engine and more than one "display control"
line.  I don't know if someone makes something for personal computer
architectures that will allow the hookup of more than one physical
keyboard, mouse, and monitor, and that will actually keep the I/O
sessions separate.  A KVM switch won't do it because that's going the
other way--one person using multiple computers.  It's still a single
"channel", if you will, of I/O; you're in this case just switching that
single channel to/from a different box.

Ethernet today provides the best, most cost-effective way to do multiple
I/O channels to and from a single box.  In the case of our beloved
project, that "fat client" is actually a K12LTSP server, serving
multiple I/O channels via Ethernet.  The multiple display channels are
done by TCP/IP and X11, all nice and seamless, for us, exactly so that
we don't have to go out and look for other, probably expensive, hardware
to do that.  The hardware to support X11 is cheap; practically any video
board on the remote terminal will do.  Same for Fast Ethernet and TCP/IP.

Let's now turn our attention back to the LTSP client.  In the case of
trying multiple I/O channels on a LTSP client, then you'd likely have to
have a special kernel and other code that understood the hardware
required to support multiple keyboards/videocards/mice, and you'd have
to do a bunch of other coding to 1.) keep those I/O channels separate,
and 2.) correctly send each of them to the LTSP server.  That sounds
like something for maybe a honors BS Computer Science project or perhaps
a Master's thesis.

--TP