[K12OSN] hub vs. switch

Shawn Powers spowers at inlandlakes.org
Wed Jul 7 12:12:54 UTC 2004

An "off the cuff" comparison is cars and packets.

Imagine a road 80 feet wide, and a mile long with no lines, lanes, etc.
  Just a big road.  Now imagine 5,000 cars on that road, all going in
different directions, and stopping at different places along the way.
Also imagine that half of the drivers are from England, and half are
from the US.  (The "which side of the road" debate)

That's a hub.

A switch would be the same road with lanes, laws, etc.

Even "dumb" switches are TONS better than hubs.

-Shawn