[K12OSN] K12LSTP in a Windows Environment

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Sat Jul 10 20:46:09 UTC 2004

> Les,
> 	I tried enabling smb authentication once during a new install but was
> unable to login as root after the install.  I assumed that pam would
> look for a local shadow password to authenticate against and if not
> found, try to authenticate with the domain controller.  Is this
> assumtion correct?

That's the way mine works.  If the local password matches it should work and
if not it will check against the domain controller.  Some of my accounts
have working local passwords, some don't.  I've never been able to make
cvs' pserver mode work with pam, so the people who use cvs keep their Linux
password up to date.  Most others just use their Windows domain password.

> Should I have added domain accounts before enabling
> smb or should I have added the machine to the domain?

You should add the machine to the domain, but this shouldn't affect a root
login or anyone else with a working local password.  Note that authconfig
just builds the pam config files for you.  If you want to customize them
even more you still can.

---
   Les Mikesell
     les at futuresource.com