[K12OSN] Samba Question

Shawn Powers spowers at inlandlakes.org
Mon Jul 12 14:19:02 UTC 2004

I know, this isn't a samba list -- but you folks are "in the trenches"
with me...  Feel free to reply off-list so as not to pollute the email
boxes of all those folks that don't care about samba...

I have a windows app that uses a fox-pro database.  I need to have a
group of users be able to read/write/change/delete the files on a samba
share.  For some reason, no matter how I set up the samba share, I seem
to get "access denied" while performing certain actions.  (Especially
reindexing, upgrading tables, and writing over top of existing files)

Could someone point me to a "how to get foxpro programs to like samba"
type tutorial, or a sample smb.conf file that will help me?  Right now,
I had to copy the database folder to a workstation, and use windows
filesharing to share the data to everyone else.  TERRIBLE solution, but
it works for now.  I refuse to believe that windows filesharing can do
what samba can not. :)

There are many file-locking options, like "op-locks" "fake op-locks"
etc, that I just don't understand.  I know on the linux side, the files
are created properly, and the users *should* have permission to
change/delete/etc -- but somehow my smb.conf file doesn't let it work.

I'd paste the appropriate part of my smb.conf file here -- but it's
changed so many times, that I'd almost rather a fresh outlook on how to
set up the share.  None of the file-locking options I've tried work. :)

Thanks a bunch, and sorry again for posting a non LTSP question...

-Shawn

--
Shawn Powers
Technology Director