[K12OSN] VNCViewer and speed of refresh

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Wed Jul 14 18:47:38 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-07-14 at 13:39, Doug Simpson wrote:
> I read most of a post given and it is all greek to me. .
>
> It was about using X instead of vnc.
>
> Given that there is an X server running at both places, what would be an
> example commandline for this scenario?
>
> Computer at home, where the program is to *run*.
>
> computer at work where the program running on the home computer would be
> displayed.

If you can log in via ssh:
>From a terminal window at work,
ssh -C home_machine
 log in
You can run text based programs in your terminal window or if
you start an X program (by typing it's name, perhaps with a &
to keep the terminal prompt active), it will open a window on
your work desktop.  In spite of what I said earlier, this will
be much faster if the display is mostly text.

Do you really have a T1 at home or is this a cable/dsl connection?
Many 'high-speed' home connections have fairly low caps on
outbound traffic.

---
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com