[K12OSN] K12LTSP 4.1 release plan. WAS: Poll: 4.02 vs. 4.1 alpha

Eric Harrison eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us
Wed Jul 14 23:15:54 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-07-14 at 15:39, Huck wrote:
> I am also in your dilema David.
>
> And as busy as this summer has been thus far I've yet to put much
> thought behind what to do...and your poll has forced me to.
> So I'll be going with what is stable on August 1...because not being a
> guru, I will have a lot of work to do in order to deploy
> this and have it play nicely with my Novell server and all the printers
> and staff and student machines and macs...
>
> Wow...actually just got off the phone with the VP..and staff report back
> in Aug. 9th...and students Aug 23..
> So...it is very likely that I will start with what is stable as of next
> week =)
>
> and I'm PRAYING feverently that your Samba/LDAP howto/walkthrough will
> get me through the hard-part =)
>
> --Huck

The "unstable" part of K12LTSP 4.1 is the LTSP portion. As of later this
afternoon (assuming the test I'm about to do pan out ;-), I'll have a
build uploaded that is close to what the final build will be. Everything
after that will be minor updates/bug fixes. I now have over a dozen
K12LTSP 4.1 alpha-build servers in production, including all of my
desktop at work, home, and my laptop. Riverdale HS has the 4.1
alpha-builds on thirty of their laptops. We've given it a pretty good
workout, so far so good.

I want to have a solid, "probably production-ready" K12LTSP 4.1 beta out
by Friday. That will give me a week to fix any major problems that crop
up. Then I'm on vacation for a week and won't have 'net access, which is
*certain* to test how stable the beta is ;-). If no show-stopping bugs
show up in the LTSP/K12LTSP betas, I'll then declare K12LTSP 4.1 the
current stable release.

-Eric