[K12OSN] K12LTSP 4.1.0 beta 1 updates

Matthew Ross mross at esd165.org
Mon Jul 19 23:45:45 UTC 2004

Eric Harrison wrote:

>>Minor:
>>rhgb doesn't always work. Have seen it work, then next reboot it locks
>>up the system. I have no idea why.
>>

>I don't see anything in RedHat's bugzilla on this one.

Yeah, I think it's just a freak problem here. It's not hard to edit out
the rhgb in the grub config, so consider this solved unless more people
start to complain.

>>Default Gnome icons change from BlueCurve to something much more generic.
>>

>No bugzilla hits on this one either.
>
>Are you sure you are using the Bluecurve theme?  Preferences -> Theme

Yeah, I'm using BlueCurve. But as I said in my last email, it seems to
only come up with the default icons when I'm already logged in elsewhere
in the LTSP lab (Or VNC).

>>Major:
>>Network card dies. I get a console message about a 'screaming interupt'
>>on IRQ 11, which is my Gigabit card.
>>

>Bugzilla has a couple hits on this one. Have you tried booting with
>"acpi=off" ? That seems to be the most common suggestion.

Well, I already replaced the NIC with a diffrent nic, and  the problem
seems to be solved.

>> This brings up the question (which
>>I'm going to find out via trail and error shortly)... Can I replace a
>>network card in a linux box, and keep the same network settings as the
>>previous card? Do I need to reconfigure anything if my replacement card
>>is of a diffrent type? I know Fedora will autoconfigure the card for me,
>>but will I have to make any LTSP level changes?
>>

>I have not tried this with FC2, but I have done it many times in the past.
>On bootup, kudzu will see the new card & ask if you want to migrate your
>old settings. (pick yes, obviously ;-)

Unfortunetly, this was not the case... unless I missed it. It asked me
to remove the old configuration, then configure the new card. I didn't
see any "migrate" button, which would have been nice. But then again, I
do usualy zip through those kudzu screens. Sm:)e.

--Matt