[K12OSN] Programming Languages

Shahms King shahms at shahms.com
Thu Jul 22 16:59:15 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-07-22 at 09:25 -0700, Jonathan Bartlett wrote:
> > Now I am looking for a replacement for Visual Basic, which will never
> > work under Linux.  It doesn't have to be Visual Basic, I was just using
> > it before because frankly, it was an easy to learn language with alot of
> > mouse work.  The operative word is EASY.  That way I could focus on the
> > concepts of programming without having to focus on learning the
> > mechanics of the programming language.  With Visual Basic the mechanics
> > comes more or less naturally.
>
> There's several things I would look into.  Personally, I think we should
> start kids with assembly language (see my book at
> http://www.cafeshops.com/bartlettpublish.8640017), but it doesn't seem an
> option here.  Some environments that match your wishes are:
>
>  * Python

You might want to look into Boa-Constructor for a good "Drag And Drop"
IDE for Python/wxPython. http://boa-constructor.sourceforge.net/

>  * Mono (I think you _Can_ do Visual Basic and C# w/ Mono, and also throw
> in SharpDevelop for an IDE)

The VB.NET support in Mono is still . . . immature (to say the least),
but it is progressing.

I have actually seen JavaScript used to pretty good effect for a
beginning language, although I haven't seen any JS IDEs.

--
Shahms E. King <shahms at shahms.com>
Multnomah ESD

Public Key: