[K12OSN] Mail Server

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Fri Jul 23 18:10:27 UTC 2004

> Personally I recommend
> Sendmail/MimeDefang/SpamAssassin/ClamAV because MimeDefang
> connects through the sendmail 'milter' interface and is able
> to tell sendmail to reject a message at the SMTP level based
> on its content.  This makes it someone else's problem to deal
> with returning a rejection notice and in the case of viruses
> will usually avoid it entirely.  Some of the other approaches
> require you to accept a message before being able to scan it.
>  The design is also very efficient because it doesn't have to
> start a new program for every message.

I remember you recommending this approach to me when I was originally
setting things up.  I just went the other way because it was the only
setup that did everything I was looking for, of which I was able to find
an extremely simple and complete tutorial.  A lot of the other stuff I
found just confused me :-)  But the advantages you state make good
sense, I am not sure but I believe with the setup described in the
tutorial MailScanner heads up 2 instances of Postfix.  So the postfix.in
receives the messages, hands it to MailScanner, and then if things pass
it hands it to the other instance of postfix for delivery.  I am sure
this would consume more resources than your Sendmail setup.  We only
receive a couple thousand messages a day so I have not seen a problem
here.

Jim Kronebusch
Cotter Tech Department
507-453-5188