[K12OSN] internet content filtering

Henry Hartley henryhartley at westat.com
Tue Jul 27 13:46:28 UTC 2004

I also was a bit overwhelmed by this task and thought it might be
beyond me.  I decided to give it a try and setup a firewall for my
home.  I was rewarded with a surprisingly easy setup.  I found an
old Pentium II computer, installed SmoothWall 2.0 (from
http://www.smoothwall.org/) and then followed the instructions here
http://projects.elmadera.com/sw/dansguardian.htm to get DansGuardian
set up and running.  It really didn't take as long as I expected and
it is working well.  I did have to modify the
/etc/dansguardian/bannedmimetypelist and bannedextensionlist to allow
zip files or my Windows machines could not update their virus
definitions from Symantec but that was a simple change.

--
Henry