[K12OSN] Thin client test

dahopkins at comcast.net dahopkins at comcast.net
Thu Jul 1 13:45:15 UTC 2004

Steve,
Not trying to start a 'holy' war, but the Capio seems to be somewhat limited long term. The Capio only has 32Mb of memory which may become an issue at some point and is designed to be a Citrix client (or windows client).  It does have the remote management tools (probably related to updating/configuring the on-board flash for booting), but I personally haven't really seen any need for these since the thin clients are just pieces of hardware that you can almost setup once and forget about them.
Check out disklessworkstations (disklessworkstations.com) or Casetronic VIA Eden-based units http://www.casetronic.com/Product/Barebone/2688RVIA/2688RVIA.html.  NCS uses the 2699R Casetronic units (but customized from what the website offers to use the Eden 5000, not the Eden Epia-M MB, about 185US, and you will need to add memory and a mouse).  Also, google the k12os listserve for prior discussions on this.
Sincerely,
Dave Hopkins
Newark Charter School