[K12OSN] Sound on Mac Thick Clients [SOLVED!!!]

Jim Kronebusch jim at winonacotter.org
Thu Jul 1 21:10:33 UTC 2004

> woo hoo!
>
> The key was, in Eric's advice the command to put in the inittab was:
>
> esd:5:once:/bin/esd -nobeeps -tcp -port 16001
>
> and it needed to be:
>
> esd:5:once:/usr/bin/esd -nobeeps -tcp -port 16001 -public
>
> so that others can connect.  No environment variable manipulation
> required.  weeee!
>
> directly after that is where the X -query command goes.  I'll try to
> wiki this today, since it's working well.  Truly amazing.
> Thank you to
> everyone involved with LTSP, it's amazing how nice these old
> 5500s are
> as thick clients!  They have:
>
> 800x600 resolution
> 16 bit color
> integrated *working* speakers

I finally had time to go back and revisit this problem.  Still doesn't
work for me.  However I am trying with the iMac Bondi Blue machines as I
have more of these than 5500's.  Any idea why the same process won't
seem to work on these?  I have made the change in lts.conf for
SOUND_DAEMON = "esd" and added the esd:5:once:/usr/bin/esd -nobeeps -tcp
-port 16001 -public to the /etc/inittab along with the X -query stuff.
I get sound when running the local YDL but not when running X -query
from the server.  Could you shoot me a copy of your lts.conf and inittab
just to be sure I am not doing something stupid?  All of our crappy
Bondi iMacs have 160MB of RAM in them as well and just fly as thin
clients, with sound they would be awesome, plus the color is great.

Thanks

---