[K12OSN] newbie

Lewis Holcroft lewis at pcc.com
Fri Jul 2 11:37:47 UTC 2004

Will,

I'm sure plenty of folks can/will help. That is one of the things I
love about this list. Everyone wants this project to be a success. I
know I do.

You mentioned that you tried to follow the default setup. Does that
mean that certain options that the documentation indicated should be
available were not presented? Or are there items you turned off?

If one of the NIC's is not working, then it is either unsupported by
linux or broken. If you send along the NIC types to the list you will
likely find out which it is. It could save a great deal of hair and
time to go by a supported NIC rather than trying to troubleshoot an
unsupported item. It could also be the NIC is very new and the drivers
were not available when the CD's were made. If this is the case then
it's time to build drivers. (scary at first but very satisfying).

When your system boots a log is created. Take a look /var/log/dmesg it
is full of info (greek if your new to this) that can help determine the
problem. Post it here and we can help you debug it.

Lewis