[K12OSN] newbie

Lewis Holcroft lewis at pcc.com
Fri Jul 2 12:59:29 UTC 2004

I just remembered a strange problem that has hunted us since 9 was
released.

The install process found both NIC's eth0 and eth1 and all was well
until the OS was installed and the machine rebooted. At the point that
the newly installed OS boots the NIC's were reversed. eth0 became eth1
and visa versa. We wrote a custom ks.cfg to get around this but it
involved the following.

Editing /etc/modules.conf and switching the eth0 alias to be eth1 and
eth1 to eth0. Then making the same change in
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ and moving ifcfg-eth0 to
ifcfg-eth0.old, moving ifcfg-eth1 to ifcfg-eth0, then moving
ifcfg-eth0.old to ifcfg-eth1. Gross but solved the problem.

One day we'll work out why the PCI bus is scanned differently by the OS
vs the boot CD. If any one already knows why, I'd love to know.

Lewis