[K12OSN] 1 thin client = 4 terminals?

Henning Petersen Wangerin k12osn___at___listman.redhat.com at hpc.dk
Sun Jul 4 18:15:10 UTC 2004

On Sat, 3 Jul 2004 23:35:33 -0400, you wrote:

> The 1 computer/4 users idea need particular types of hardware; graphic
> cards, USB mice/keyboards or PS/2 spliters, etc.  All of that leads to

Additional graphic cards: yes, but extra mice/keyboards/monitors : no

I don't see how making 4 workplaces on a single box (thin-client or
fulle machine) would be more expensive than making 4 workplaces on
four boxes.

Buing a new box and adding 3 extra graphic cards, would always be
cheaper as buing 4 new boxes.

Ofcourse you need to buy usb-keyboars/mice, but them are also
afordable.

> would work.  But I just don't feel that the "cool factor" or the extra
> cost / maintainance would outway the current terminal idea for

What about the simple fact that it would eliminate nearly 3/4 of the
hardware needed to build a lab? Ofcouse the downside is that i a
station gioes down now, it would be four going down.

> deployment.  Without doing any research, I am thinking the cost a good
> mobo, strong processor, lots of RAM and 4 good graphic cards
> does not beat the price of 4 thinknics, or linux bricks, or other thin
> clients.

Why would yur need lots of RAM and stroong CPU if you let it work as a
thin clint, juat with a special config?

Should be someting to try out sometime!

--
Venlig hilsen / Best regards