[K12OSN] 1 thin client = 4 terminals?

Les Mikesell les at futuresource.com
Mon Jul 5 17:02:18 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-07-04 at 13:15, Henning Petersen Wangerin wrote:

> > The 1 computer/4 users idea need particular types of hardware; graphic
> > cards, USB mice/keyboards or PS/2 spliters, etc.  All of that leads to
>
> Additional graphic cards: yes, but extra mice/keyboards/monitors : no

This brings up an interesting variation.  Is it possible to run
a "traditional" multi-headed thin client with one keyboard/mouse
controlling several monitors?  We have a wall of monitors that
display an assortment of network and server status checks. Most
are 4-headed boxes are running windows but I'd like to do away
with the local install and need for updates.  Auto-detecting
these is probably too much to ask, but is there a way to tie
a hand-tuned XF86Config to a specific client?

> I don't see how making 4 workplaces on a single box (thin-client or
> fulle machine) would be more expensive than making 4 workplaces on
> four boxes.

There are 2 problems with the multi-user thin client: unless it
can be auto-detected or you have a lot of the same configuration
you lose the normal time saving that you get with the thin
client software setup, and you also lose the ability to
reboot at any time to clear any kind of problem without affecting
anyone else.

----
  Les Mikesell
   les at futuresource.com