[K12OSN] sshvnc

Brian Chase networkr0 at cfl.rr.com
Mon Jul 5 20:22:35 UTC 2004

I loaded K12LTSP 4.0.1 and installed it as a terminal server.  No
configuration is needed on the Linux box after install, as the defaults
activate VNC already.  The only thing needed is an accessible port 22
that is forwarded to the LTSP box from your router and the IP address or
Fully Qualified Domain Name (FQDN) that can bee seen from the internet
and the following setup on the client, if a windows box.

I prefer TightVNC for my Windows box.

http://www.benjamin.weiss.name/putty-tunnel.html

I had better luck getting larger resolution by default using Windows XP
on port 5900 rather than 5901, 2 or 3.  It works flawlessly, but I'd
play around with the different "fast/best" compression clients to see
what gives you better performance.  By the way, X works by default for
local as well with K12LTSP 4.01.  You can get it at:

    ftp://k12linux.mesd.k12.or.us/pub/K12LTSP/4.0.1/iso/

Regards,

Brian