[K12OSN] Notebook Lab

Michael Plocher mplocher1 at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 6 20:09:21 UTC 2004

Hi all,

Background:
We are a parochial school with ~300 students in PreK-8.  I inherited an iMac
lab (AppleShare IP server), and an ICS Windows lab.  I want to switch to
Linux as our main file server, Internet content filter, etc.

Question:
I plan on keeping the the Mac and Windows labs due to the $$ investment of
edutainment software for those platforms already in place ( they will
eventually be phased out), however, I am thinking about converting 24 Dell
PI Laptops into a mobile linux lab to add a third lab to our school for this
fall.  Each laptop has a P233 processor, 3+ Gig hard drive, 128 mg memory,
CD Rom & Floppy drive.  I'd have to add my own NICs and was wondering if
wireless would be possible, or even recommended.  Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Mike Plocher
Director of Technology
St. Paul's Lutheran School