[K12OSN] Router?

Petre Scheie petre at maltzen.net
Wed Jul 7 13:32:01 UTC 2004

I would opt for using the D-Link router between your server and the cable modem,
to provide some simple firewalling between your server and the internet.  Yes,
the server has firewalling built-in, via iptables, but considering all the uses
the server has, it requires that a number of ports be open so the clients can
talk to it.  However, there's no reason for these ports to be open to the
internet side.  And yes, you can control that, too, through iptables, but it
means you have to control all that through iptables.  With the dlink router in
there, you set it to allow no in-bound connections, or perhaps just port 22 so
you can ssh in for admin purposes.  Some people, like me, even run *another*
router/firewall in there to create a real DMZ for web servers and the like.
That way none of your internal boxes is accessible from the outside world except
those web servers that you want to be accessible.

Petre