[K12OSN] installing eth1 nic after installing k12

Calvin Dodge caldodge at fpcc.net
Thu Jul 8 18:09:03 UTC 2004

On Thu, Jul 08, 2004 at 12:17:00PM -0400, Roger Ellison wrote:
> eth1 has a valid ip address.  The internet is reachable from the K12
> server, but not from any of the clients.  Unfortunately, the server is a
> 30 drive away and I won't be in front of it until three hours from now.

Hmmm ... if the clients are based directly on the K12 server, then they _should_
be able to reach the Internet. That's because they are running ON the server, and
merely displaying to a different computer (i.e., the client)

For systems which aren't directly running from the K12 server, there are two issues:
1) NAT (network address translation) must be running. If you've a newer version of K12LTSP then install the "nat" package and activate it
("chkconfig nat on;service nat start").  It defaults to sending packets to
the outside via eth1, so it should work "out-of-the-box" for you.
2) How do other systems on the LAN get their DNS information?  Are they pointing
to a valid DNS server?

Calvin

--
Calvin Dodge