[K12OSN] K12LSTP in a Windows Environment

dale dalen at czexan.net
Fri Jul 9 16:22:57 UTC 2004

Les Mikesell wrote:
  > If you don't mind creating the user accounts on the Linux
> side you can use smb authentication (a checkbox item during
> install or run 'authconfig' to change) against the domain
> controller to check passwords.  If you want the accounts
> to be created on the fly you need winbind which has a more
> complicated setup.
Les,
	I tried enabling smb authentication once during a new install but was
unable to login as root after the install.  I assumed that pam would
look for a local shadow password to authenticate against and if not
found, try to authenticate with the domain controller.  Is this
assumtion correct?  Should I have added domain accounts before enabling
smb or should I have added the machine to the domain?  I'll have to try
this again in the future after reading the authconfig man page.

Thanks,

Dale