[K12OSN] Anyone running apache on their k12ltsp box?

Eric Harrison eharrison at mail.mesd.k12.or.us
Fri Jul 9 20:26:03 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-07-09 at 13:06, Carl Keil wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've got a small, low volume web site on my k12ltsp box.  It's actually
> serving my mp3 collection.  I want it to be password protected from the
> outside world, so I don't get in trouble with the RIAA, but I want the
> clients and other users on the LAN not to be challenged for a
> password.  When I make changes to the .htaccess page in the directory all
> of a sudden the clients get the default apache page that says that the
> server isn't set up.  When I change it back, they get asked for the
> password, but sent through to the proper directory.  Is anybody else doing
> this?  What's the proper way to set this up?  I don't know whether to
> restrict by IP, or what.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,

You can do an allow from domain and/or IP range, otherwise require a
password. Here's a simple example that would give access to anyone with
a "k12.or.us" domain name or an ip address of 10.x.x.x or 198.236.x.x,
everyone else gets prompted for a password:

   deny from all
   allow from .k12.or.us 10.0.0.0/8 198.236.0.0/16
   AuthType Basic
   AuthUserFile /etc/httpd/conf/passwd
   require valid-user
   satisfy any