[K12OSN] using dd to get 1474560 bytes

Gentgeen gentgeen at linuxmail.org
Sat Jul 10 18:35:31 UTC 2004

I have a strange problems, I am trying to make a multi-boot CD, using
MBCD.  (This is a script/program found at
http://cowww.epfl.ch/~swalter/mbcd/) It is a really great way for me to
get a number of my own boot floppies onto one CD, and reduce the clutter
in my toolbox.

I made an image of a boot floppy using 'dd if=/dev/fd0 of=floppy.img'
and did not see any errors.  when I do a 'ls -l' it shows floppy.img to
be 1474560 bytes.  But when I do a 'du -b' it shows floppy.img to be
1478656 bytes.  Now the mbcd script uses the 'du -b' method to verify
the size of the image, and requires it to be  1474560 or 2949120 bytes.

So what am I doing wrong?  I tried adding bs=1474560 and bs=2x80x18b to
the 'dd' command, but no change.  I have also tried it with 3 different
boot floppies.

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own
reputation; for 'tis better to be alone then in bad company.
                    - George Washington, Rules of Civility