[K12OSN] Open Office Docs opening in AbiWord

Brian Chase networkr0 at cfl.rr.com
Tue Jul 13 19:32:29 UTC 2004

LTSP 4.0.1 defaults to Abiword for Microsoft Word documents (i.e.
anything with .doc extension).

You can change it by going to the menu, than "preferences", than "file
types and programs".  It is granular on a per user basis, so each user
will need to change it over as they prefer.

My personal opinion is that Abiword is MUCH faster and does everything I
need, besides actually playing nicer with MS Word documents.  I'm an
Abiword/Gnumeric enthusiast for that very reason of better
compatibility.  Open Office is a pig, eats up alot of memory, is slower,
and doesn't have the compatibility that the defaults have, perhaps the
reason Redhat chose it as default.  Your choice though.

Cheers,

Brian