[K12OSN] HTML exploits

"Terrell Prudé, Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Tue Jul 13 21:46:27 UTC 2004

Bill Kendrick wrote:

>On Tue, Jul 13, 2004 at 02:37:00PM -0400, Access Systems wrote:
>

>>On Tue, 13 Jul 2004, William J McCloskey wrote:
>>

>>>I'm also interested in this, There were 4 new exploits discovered today in
>>>IE and I cant really get people away from IE as we use some Microsoft web
>>>apps that require it.
>>>

>Simple.  Stop using them.
>
>Too harsh?  Well, it's that, or live with the security problems IE keeps
>cropping up with.
>
>Kind of a crappy toss-up.  I'm glad that I realized IE was a pile of crap
>back in 1996 when I was first doing web development.  Not even counting the
>security insanity, I look at it today (running WinXP for work; hadn't
>used Windows since circa 1998 on a friend's PC), I haven't really seen any
>major leaps in stability, usability, or sanity.
>
>Thank HEAVENS for the likes of Linux and Mozilla.  I can't afford a Mac. :^P
>
>-bill!

Seconded.  I was working for MS back when OLE 2.0 was rebranded
CraptiveX and Web-enabled.  I, and several others, were thinking back
then, "This is a major virus vector just begging to be exploited."  It
was at that point in time that I stopped using Internet Exploder on my
NT/95 boxes and switched wholesale back to Netscape (yes, even at
work!), and later to Mozilla and Firefox.  I haven't used IE in a few
years, and given its track record, I have no intention to start.

The real solution is to use--and as paying customers, demand
compatibility with--Free Software, and this includes at home, not just
at work.  The more organizations see that it's in the home, the more
they'll have to think about it in the workplace, which is exactly how MS
got its corporate market share.  Let's not lose sight of that.

As for Macs, I have several here at home.  I run Yellow Dog Linux 3.0.1
on all of them.  I will not run OS X, because it is not Free.  You're
still subject to Apple's whim for when they decide, like MS recently w/
IE, to get around to fixing bugs, not to mention a possible BSA audit.
Yes indeed, thank HEAVENS for the likes of Mozilla and Linux.

--TP
Do you GNU!? <http://www.gnu.org>
Tired of spam? With Mozilla Thunderbird
<http://www.mozilla.org/thunderbird>, you have the best spam protection